Starting a business is challenging. You may have all the ideas of what you want but if you do not act on it and start your plans, everything will just remain as that – a plan. And you do not want to be stuck in that limbo. Therefore, you must take your actions now.
This article will guide you in starting up your first small business online.
Why start online?
You may be wondering why should you start your business online. Well, the first lesson in becoming an entrepreneur is to be practical. If you have no experience yet and you do not have enough capital to start your physical store or shop then why not begin in the world wide web. It is big, it is universal and most of all it is free (or at least cheaper than renting a commercial space). It can serve as your stepping stone before you start something bigger.
More tips here:
- How to start a business online without quitting your day job
- Online business: Start small, capitalize on what you know, and focus on content
- Misconceptions about online business that you should be aware of
What do you need for your e-commerce site?
Some of the things that you need for your online shopping site are the following:
- Website – this is going to be your “shop” online where you will sell your products. You may opt for free hosting sites but buying your own domain is better and it looks more professional. You can buy domain names for cheaper costs – you can check out GoDaddy.com for the domain name that you have in mind.
- Product or Service – do you have your own product or service that you wish to market or are you planning to offer different brands and products as an online reseller? Make sure that what you offer is of high-quality to attract customers.
- Business plan – of course you need a good business plan to follow. Make sure to come up with unique ideas. Think like your consumers and analyze the things that they look for in an e-commerce site. And then make your marketing plans and strategies.
More tips here:
- 5 trust signals every eCommerce site should have
- What builds an eCommerce site?
- 12 can’t-miss tools for eCommerce entrepreneurs
How to optimize and launch your website?
As mentioned, your website is your “online shop” and just like in a physical store, you have to dress it up to make it look presentable to your consumers and best of all, to attract them to buy.
Analyze your target audience. Once you know your target audience, you will be able to study their behavior, their preferences and such, making it easy for you to optimize your website based on those factors.
It is very important to come up with a good homepage, landing page and of course, a sales page that will give you the money. Make sure to come up with killer headline, a persuasive subhead, relevant picture and formidable call-to-action button.
You must feature the product or products that you are selling on your site. Come up with good message that will tell your audience more about the product/s. Be direct and honest. Consumers want to make sure that they are dealing with authentic and honest websites so do not try to come up with exaggeration or lies just to sell.
Lastly, come up with some promotions to entice your audience. Everyone loves free and discounted stuff! Since you are just starting, it is advisable to introduce deals or promotions that will intrigue your visitors.
More tips here:
- How to build links for an eCommerce business
- How to attract more customers to your eCommerce store
- How to market an online business
Why start your own small business?
It is not easy working in the office for 9 to 10 hours a day, 5 or 6 times a week for someone who has entrepreneurial tendency or passionate about entrepreneurship. Even worse, it’s not easy to make profits when you finally decide to plunge yourself into the online business startup world. To supplement your income during the startup phase, you may want to pursue more opportunities. Real estate can be a great way to do so. There are Real estate jobs for entrepreneurs, for example, that can be a good opportunity for entrepreneurs.
It is always nice to have a plan B and taking a “side hustle” work while starting your own small business online could be a very good and profitable back-up plan.