Dork Your Brand
Well I’m here to make your day and save you tons ‘o dough by giving you ten ways to “DORK YOUR BRAND!”
1. Don’t even think about being consistent with your image. The trick here is to have one logo on your stationary, another variation on your signs and when you do a trade show, something homemade would be outstanding.
2. Brand values – frankly that’s for pansies. Just do what it takes to get the business. View those people you have to walk on to succeed as mere stepping stones. Don’t concern yourself with your reputation.
3. Find the perfect opportunity to blend in with what your competition is doing. If they are doing great then they must be on to something. “More of the same,” I always say to Dorks. You don’t want to risk standing out, you might be discovered for who you really are. There’s probably more money running with the pack anyway.
4. Did you know that you can get a logo designed online for free? That’s right, no need to worry about demographics, first impressions, market share or what ever. Image is for movie stars, your running a bizness. The less things cost – more for you, right?
5. Don’t ask – don’t tell. You’re only looking for trouble asking your stake holders what they think.
6. Are you going to one of them trade shows. Stay away from a professional presentation and get yourself one of those free folding tables and dress it up with blue skirting like all the other dorks. We’re blending in again, that’s the ticket. (Now you’re catching on).
7. And while you’re at the show, and you want to catch a stare or two, don’t waste your cash on relevant materials promoting a unique message – get yourself a booth bunny! Hey sex sells and even if hurts your brand – what’s the harm in a little fun.
8. Keep dropping your price until you are the lowest price in your bizness. Don’t let nobody beat you.
9. Don’t bother trying to forge relationships with customers. Let’s face it, you’ve probably got enough friends, and besides they’d probably expect you to pick up the tab.
10. When the phone rings, it’s not important how your staff answers it – just be glad it’s ringing. There’s no point wasting friendly on some Nancy just looking for the cheapest deal.
Well that’s the branding game in a nut shell. One thing I can guarantee you is, if you decide to “Dork Your Brand”, you will make one business person very happy…
…that person is your leading competitor.
Image: erix! / Flickr
About the Author: For more than 25 years, Ed Roach has worked with hundreds of successful small businesses by helping them develop unique brand positioning strategies that differentiates them from their competition. Contact Ed if you are looking for practical advice on bringing your corporate brand into focus at: 519-324-9536 or visit Ed's website - www.thebrandingexperts.ca - and blog - www.thebrandcorral.com. You can also reach him on social media sites: TWITTER: Ed Roach - LINKEDIN: ED ROACH - FACEBOOK: Ed Roach, The Branding Experts
More posts from Ed Roach, The Branding Experts »